The use of photography is perfectly acceptable in our programs, services and events providing there is a legitimate, appropriate and beneficial reason for the photography, such as for recording achievements and learning outcomes and for PR, marketing and advertising by Elwood Shule staff or professional photographer.
Before any photographs are taken we will:
- Display clear signage at the program, service or event advising that photography will take place, that the photos may be used for promotional purposes and shared on our social media and any concerns should be reported to the organisers
- Make a public announcement at the program, service or event advising that photography will take place, that the photos may be used for promotional purposes and shared on our social media and any concerns should be reported to the organisers
- Ensure the context is directly related to participation in our programs, services and events
When taking photographs:
- Avoid taking images in one to one situations
- Ensure the child is appropriately dressed and posed
- The image is taken in the presence of other people
- Inform colleagues that images are being taken
- Images of a single child are appropriate providing there is surrounding context within the frame
- Check the background of any image to ensure no children appear where parental consent has not been granted
- Always be able to justify every image taken with regards to the context and reasons for the photography
- Ensure the children are aware that images are being taken
After taking photographs:
- Avoid the inclusion of any detailed information about individual children
- Where possible do not include the name of a child whose image is being used
- If naming a child or group of children in an image, use only their first names
- The event organiser will arrange for the images to be removed from the camera/phone and installed on the office PC. All images from the authorised camera will be deleted immediately.
- The organiser will review the images choosing which ones to use for the required purpose and delete all others.
- A parent or child can at any time request that an image be removed from service (e.g. website, social media etc.)